Tuesday, November 4, 2008

OSD600 Lab 8

Well, considering my project for OSD600 has been to port Ubiquity over to Thunderbird, needless to say, I didn't get very much out of a lab that was meant to teach us how to build a simple extension. Link to my XPI file:

http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/imgs/Addtabbeside.xpi

For those that haven't been working on an extension related project so far, I'd say that this was a great lab to go through. I read through the walk through David Humphrey posted and it did a great job of out lying the very basics needed to create an extension for Firefox.

After reading through the lab, I decided that I'd just go ahead and make the directory structure and files, then copy paste the code he wanted us to use into those files. I already have a handle on how install.rdf and chrome.manifest operate, so creating the directory structure was a no brainer.

If you haven't completed the lab, your directory structure should look like this:

\addtabbeside\
\addtabbeside\chrome
\addtabbeside\chrome\content

Then you should have the following files in these locations:

\addtabbeside\install.rdf
\addtabbeside\chrome.manifest
\addtabbeside\chrome\content\addtabbeside.js
\addtabbeside\chrome\content\overlay.xul

I noticed a few people in the lab were trying to create addtabbeside@senecac.on.ca as as a directory. That's supposed to be a simple text file that has a link to your extension. So just open a text editor and save the file as that name but make sure there's no .txt at the end. Then put the path to your extension inside the file and save it.

As a final note, if anyone needs help with this lab I'll be on irc.mozilla.org in #seneca as slunel. If I don't respond to you right away there's a big possibility that I might be afk but I'll get back to you when I have time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your website
I made with photoshop backgrounds for myspace or youtube and more
my backgrounds: www.igset.com
take care and thank you again!