Sunday, November 23, 2008

OSD600 Lab 10 XPCOM

Well, I guess I'll start off by saying that getting this lab to work was slightly annoying. I had a space in the wrong spot and Firefox didn't feel like building with my XPCOM extension because of that. Completely my fault, but annoying none the less.

With that aside, I really liked this lab simply because I like DLLs and COM objects. I've been dealing with COM objects in DirectX and creating my own DLLs for my GUI546 assignment. I didn't learn a whole lot from this lab aside from how Mozilla runs XPCOM. Even then, I can see I still have a LOT to learn about XPCOM beyond what was shown in this lab. The way Mozilla structures their code base is pretty interesting. Sometimes I wish my code was this organized. One day it will be... one day...

Well here's my lab...

http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/imgs/Firstxpcom.zip


Suppose I'll use this blog to talk about what I've done for my 0.3 (instead of creating a new blog to do it). Sadly I haven't gotten too far in it. Have a few assignments due this coming week that I've been trying to wrap up before I make a serious attempt at completing a 0.3. I've tinkered around with a few things here and there. Been forced to go back to the drawing board as far as getting files merged goes.

Going to try something different for file merges... if that fails me I'm sure you'll all hear about it. Next week is when I start my, "Work on OSD600 assignment 6 hours a day or more" time period once again. Last week it was "Work on OSD600 assignment for 6 hours in total for that week".

I'm sure I'll be cursing at the javascript gods soon enough :)

Until then...

No comments: