Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Alright lots of stuff to talk about.

Thanks to the efforts of Vladamir and Justin, Ubiquity is now popping up in Thunderbird. I've been poking around in the Ubiquity source getting a few things to work here and there, and removing errors from the error console. So far so good, cleaned up a few things (I think).

Now I've moved on to getting command previews to properly show up in the Ubiquity console. Attempting to debug my code, I've added a series of dumps to the console that just refuse to show up. I've added in the appropriate dump.enable property in TB so that's not an issue. It's almost like none of the functions are being called to pop up the preview window. Either that or my dump just isn't working at all (which would be strange because it's working else where).

If it is a case of certain functions being called, I'm sure I'm going to have tons of fun getting event handlers to work. My original plan for my project's 0.1 release was to get a few commands to work in TB. I'm starting to realize that getting remote commands to work might be a stretch, and I'm considering dumbing down my 0.1 to simply getting the preview window to operate properly. Currently the Annotation Service that Ubiquity uses to get commands to operate in Firefox isn't available in TB. Writing a "fake" annotation service to work around this problem is going to be hard and take lots of time. In fact, I suspect that it's out of my personal scope, but that still remains to be seen.

Oh yeah, as far as getting TB to pop up Ubiquity is concerned. When I sent my rebuilt extension to jono, it decided it didn't want to work. Instead TB feels like saying that jQuery is undefined. Well, that's wonderful. You'd think that considering today is my birthday, things would go smoothly. Oh well, spending my time on this was exactly how I pictured spending my bday anyways. Happy bday Scott! ;)

No comments: