Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Extension Progress

So, I talked to Jono earlier today. He's decided to lead the porting Ubiquity to Thunderbird project himself, which is a good thing for me. There's now an experienced Mozilla developer at my disposal that's willing to help everyone involved with the project get it done.

In order to help steer everyone in the right direction, Jono told us to write a small extension for Thunderbird that displays a message box showing the infamous "Hello World!" message. Well, after following his links and reading a tutorial on how to create Firefox extensions, I have to say... it's not nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. Creating the extension for Firefox was a breeze. After that, I decided it was time to "port" it over to Thunderbird. Well, porting it over was simple enough, but there were definitely some differences between some of the information in my Firefox version and my Thunderbird version.

Ok, so I had to change the following in my chrome.manifest:

chrome://browser/content/browser.xul

To:

chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul

That's a no brainer.

This is the part that stumped me for a little while. I didn't understand why my extension wasn't showing up in the Tool menu. Well, I should have guessed right off the bat that menupopup ids are different in Firefox than they are in Thunderbird. So I used:

menupopup id="taskPopup"

Instead of:

menupopup id="menu_ToolsPopup"

In my overlay.xul.

Now I just need to play around with my extension and make it do something "fancier" than displaying "Hello World!"

No comments: